Monday 11 September 2017

Back in the saddle or Here’s to 50,000 hits and five years

I am trying to get back in the saddle with this blog, and this entry is the first step.

It also happens to be the fifth anniversary of this blog and we recently passed 50,000 hits.

We have to look where we are now before we can consider where to go.

So here goes.

Where are we?
It is hard to believe how quickly time flies. Looking back, my last post was at the beginning of December of 2016, December 2 to be exact, a span of more than 10 months.

At times it is difficult to get motivated to write something at the end of the day, when I write for a living. I marvel at how I have been able to publish 239 posts, and wonder where I found the time.

The answer is simple – I made this blog a priority. There were times I actually committed to writing every day. I was not always successful, but there are months where I published more than 20 posts. That is almost a 70 per cent ratio.

Over the past 10 months, the blog has not been a priority. There has been no activity aside from one comment posted in February. That is not quite true though. During this time, people still checked out the blog, as the counter ticked past 50,000 hits. That is simply amazing to me. That works out to an average of more than 10,000 a year. Moreover, I check the blog for comments several times a day, which accounts for some of those visits. Not all of them, however, as the stats function reveals which entries are being visited – and those are never visited by me.

Where do we go from here?
So, as we hit the fifth anniversary, where do we go from here?

I have never subscribed to the philosophy that a blog is dead if posting does not occur regularly. I have even been described as abandoning this blog.

My view is different. My definition of regular is different. This will only be considered abandoned when there are no more posts, no more visits, and no more comments. When virtual tumbleweeds drift across the screen.

I always wanted to have a blog, and I achieved that goal.

Although, it has been 10 months, I am not going anywhere.

Instead, I am re-committing right here to posting regularly to this blog.

That may mean once a week, once a month, or maybe even semi-annually.

But it means there will be something new periodically.

Parting thoughts
Ideally, I would like to post a couple times a week, and more than 100 times a year. That just may not happen though.

Still, there is a lot for me to say. There are more than 50 posts I have started that sit in my “Pending” folder on my lap top. There are probably another 50 topics scribbled on scraps of paper in my office. I plan to get to those. I plan to start posting again.


Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment